About The Project
In 1974, led by an innovative Board of Directors, MVSD became the first Wastewater Treatment Plant on the West Coast to utilize treated wastewater for wetland creation. The resulting Moorhen Marsh saved the District’s rate payers millions of dollars by eliminating the need for a deep water outfall while establishing a 21-acre habitat that benefits numerous aquatic and terrestrial species. Almost 40 years later, MVSD produced the Moorhen Marsh Management Plan which calls for significant improvements to this historical wetland.
Click here to read more
Pre-construction activities for Phase A including pond dewatering, fish rescue, vegetation cutting, and wildlife exclusion fence installation will run between January and April 2017. The Phase A improvements will be constructed between mid-June and November of 2017. As proposed, the Phase B timeline in 2018 will mimic the Phase A schedule.
During Phase A construction, Moorhen Marsh will be closed to the public from mid-June through November 2017. Phase B construction will likely close the marsh mid-May through November 2018. Come back regularly for Construction Updates or visit our Facebook page (facebook.com/mtviewsd) for the latest information on construction progress. If you are uncertain about access, please call 925-228-5635 x10.
MVSD regrets any inconvenience to our wetland visitors that may be caused by the Project. Please be patient as we work to improve this important wetland for wildlife and human visitors alike.
- Construction Updates for the Week of November 27,2017 - Following is a summary of main work items performed recently: Completed reconstruction of the levees in ponds C, D and E, utilizing geo-grid. Placed the finish soil over the reconstructed levee slopes. Completed excavation and forming the deep water channels in ponds C, D and E. Completed construction of the island in pond C and […]
- Construction Updates for the Week of November 6, 2017 - Progress continued for the habitat enhancement project throughout October and into November for Phase A. The following highlights the construction tasks completed last month: Completed reconstruction of 95% of all the levees in ponds C, D and E, utilizing geogrid. Placed the majority of finish soil over the reconstructed levees. Continued excavation and forming the […]
- Construction Completed through the week ending September 29, 2017 - Following is a summary of main work items performed recently: Completed keyways in ponds D and E. Continued reconstruction of the levees in ponds E and D utilizing geogrid. Continued moisture conditioning pond soils. Continued dewatering local ponding water in pond E. Removed unsuitable concrete fill from existing levees in pond D and placed as […]
- Construction Completed through the week ending September 15, 2017 - Following is a summary of main work items performed recently: Completed approx. 80% of levee keyways in ponds C, D and E. Partially excavated and formed the deep water channels in ponds C, D and E. Imported and placed select fill for pond C east levee, where the levee was seeping from raised slough water […]
- Construction Update for the Week ending September 1, 2017 - Following is a summary of the main work items performed in Moorhen Marsh recently: The contractor continued drying (wind-rowing and disking) pond soils to correct moisture content. The contractor continued dewatering local ponding water in ponds C, D and E. Workers excavated some of the levee keyways in ponds C, D and E, installed fabric […]
- Construction Update- Week of August 14, 2017 - Last week, (week of August 7) the contractor had to deal with high water levels in Peyton Slough causing water to leak into pond C. The main work items last week involved dewatering pond C and re-drying the soils there. The contractor also continued to dry/moisture condition soils in ponds D and E. This week […]
- Construction Updates– Week of July 17, 2017 - Following is a summary of main work items during the week July 17, 2017: •Completed vegetation removal and drying in Ponds C, D and E (except small area by tree with nest, pond C). •Continued ripping and drying the soils in ponds C, D and E. •Continued dewatering local ponding water in Pond E. •Wallace-Kuhl […]
- Construction Updates – Week of July 10, 2017 - Week of July 10, 2017 Continue vegetation removal and drying in Ponds C, D and E. Continue dewatering in Ponds D and E. Continue Soil drying Ponds C, D and E. Haul and dispose of vegetation – starting primarily 7/9/17 for approx. 1 week. Stockpile asphalt/debris from ponds. Install rock and grade on access road.
- Construction Updates – Week of July 3, 2017 - Week of July 3, 2017 Continued vegetation removal and drying in Ponds C, D and E. Continued dewatering in Pond D. Began dewatering in Pond E. Soil drying Ponds C, D and E.
- Construction Updates – Week of June 26, 2017 - Week of June 26, 2017 Notice to Proceed (NTP) was issued to Water Rock Construction on June 14, 2017. NTP allows the contractor to begin work on the project. Public access to Moorhen Marsh was closed on June 14, 2017 in order to allow the contractor to begin working in the marsh. Once the NTP […]
Construction Photo Gallery
Backfilling the levee keyway in pond E
Entering Pond E for the first time
Removing Vegetation in Pond D
Grading Soil in Pond D
Vegetation Removal in Pond E
Soil Ripping in Pond E