Household FYI

Emergency Sewer Calls

For a sewer emergency 24/7: Call (925)228-5635

If you are reporting a sewer backup or overflow incident, please notify the District’s Offices , 24 hours a day, at (925) 228-5635. District’s On-Call staff will respond to the reported sanitary sewer incident after hours.  Please follow phone message prompts for sewer emergencies.

When a District Representative speaks to you please have the following information ready to expedite the response: Name, Address, Phone Number, Address or location of the overflow and all conditions you are experiencing. If you are experiencing a backup into your home please remain calm, remove all persons and pets from the area. If sewage has overflowed inside the home shutoff all heating and air conditioning (HVAC) units. Do not attempt to remove any affected items from the area. If the Mt. View Sanitary District is found to be responsible for the incident, we are committed to cleaning and restoring your property, and to protecting the health of those affected during the remediation process.

How to Dispose of Used Home Medical Sharps

Sharps Drop BoxDispose of used home medical sharps in the collection kiosk at the Administration Building of Mt. View Sanitary District. Proof of residency in the service area of Mt. View Sanitary District is required. (Picture on left: The sharps drop box at the Mt. View Sanitary District office.) The Administration building is open on Monday-Thursday from 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM and Friday 7:00 AM – 3:30 PM. For more information, please call (925) 228-5635.

How does sewer gas get inside your home?

MtViewSD_StinkySinkEvery drain in your home’s sewer system should have a “p”-shaped trap (plumbing trap or p-trap) that is properly vented, this includes showers, bathtubs, utility sinks, and floor drains. The p-traps on each drain “traps” water, creating a seal, or barrier, that will keep sewer gas out of your home. If one of these drains is rarely used, such as in a guest bathroom, the water creating the protective seal will eventually evaporate. This is a formula for trouble that can allow stinky sewer gas to seep into your home. Simply pouring some water into each of the seldom used drains should solve the problem. If odors persist, please call the District at 925.228.5635 for assistance.

GCC Website

As part of the ongoing commitment to government transparency, Controller John Chiang has launched a statewide database of salaries and compensation as reported byCalifornia cities, counties, and special districts for all job classifications. Just follow this link to the Local Government Compensation Reporting database and search tool.

West Nile Virus!!

Property owners and other residents can help by eliminating standing sources of water in their yards, including unkept swimming pools and ponds, discarded tires, clogged rain gutters, cans, buckets, and any other containers where water can accumulate. For more information please contact CCMVCD at 925-685-9301 or via the Web at

Underground Service Alert

Call 1-800-227-2600

logoUSA North (Underground Service Alert) is a free notification service for homeowners and contractors who are going to perform any kind of excavation. By calling USA North you can find out if there are underground utilities at your site before you dig. Legislation in California makes it mandatory to call at least two days before digging.

phbsd128x80Pleasant Hill Bayshore Disposal, the solid waste hauler for MVSD, wants to remind you that you are allotted two on-call cleanups per year to dispose of bulky items or up to 2 cubic yards of extra refuse without charge. For more information or to schedule a cleanup, call 685-4711 one week in advance.


Its Not Too Late…

cccsdlogoTurn in your mercury thermometers at the Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facility for a FREE digital thermometer.

Call 1-800-646-1431 for directions and hours.

District Board Meetings

District Board meetings are held the second Thursday of each month at 6:30 PM at the Administration Building and Learning Center at 3800 Arthur Rd, Martinez. Meetings are opened to the Public.

Directions to the Treatment Plant


New Green Business in the District

gbprogram-1Pennzoil Oil Changers on Arnold Dr. has been certified as a Contra Costa County Green Business. By complying with all environmental regulations and practicing optional pollution prevention measures, they are being given recognition for being environmentally conscious.

Please support them and Hagen’s Auto Service, our other Green Business.


New Yard Waste Collection
Your yard waste is collected every other week on the same day as your curbside recycling. You may rent a 96-gallon cart for $3 per month or use up to three (3) of your own 32-gallon cans for yard waste. Cans may be no larger than 32-gallons, must have handles and have a yard waste sticker on them. Call Pleasant Hill Bayshore Disposal customer service at 685-4711 or 228-4717 for stickers.

Did You Know?

That grit is a combination of seeds, coffee grounds, eggshells and cigarette butts. These items along with grease from cooking oils can cause blockages and overflows of sewage in sewer lines. Please dispose of them in your garbage.

Fluoresent lights

Fluoresent light bulbs contain 10 milligrams of mercury. While that does not sound like much, think about the number of fluoresent lights used these days of energy efficiency. They add up to hundreds of thousands of bulbs. Bulbs that are disposed of with solid waste end up in dumps where they are broken and the mercury is relaesed into the air and the groundwater. Keep original packaging and dispose of the bulbs safely at the Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facility in Martinez. Call 1-800-646-1431 for hours and directions.

Holiday Season Reminder

Please recycle turkey fryer oil and cooking grease, and avoid pain in the drain.  Cooking fats, oil and grease constrict and block household drains. They can also block sanitary sewer mainlines which cause sanitary sewer overflows. Recycling helps to prevent raw sewage backups into your home, our streets and the Bay. Visit for grease recycling locations.  Posters and stickers are available at our Administration Building.